Spanish Moon and Ryan Moore  winning The Qatar Prix Foy from vision D'Etat (red cap) Pic Dan Abraham - Longchamp 13.9.09

  • Jockeys riding on a foreign licence are covered by PRIS for 7 days from the date of departure from the UK.
  • Jockeys riding on a UK licence are covered by PRIS for a period of 30 days from the date of departure from the UK.
  • PJA Travel Insurance (Bone fide work related trips only) - All PJA members’ medical expenses (including Repatriation) are covered for 60 days from the date of departure from the UK for any one trip. There is a £100 excess payable. Jockeys may extend cover on an individual basis up to a maximum limit of 6 months in all at an additional premium. Please contact the office for more information.

Cover for Jockeys who are abroad for longer periods of time

Jockeys that ride abroad for more than 30 days at a time are advised to make enquiries, through the local Racing Authority, as to whether or not there is any insurance cover that might be available to them through that Authority. The PJA strongly advises that Jockeys purchase adequate individual cover for:

America - Riding Abroad

  • Private Medical Insurance*
  • Career Ending Insurance*
  • Loss of earnings*
  • Repatriation*

*Any Jockey pursuing a long term career in racing in countries such as America should be aware that there is generally no specific complimentary insurance for Jockeys of any kind. The cost of purchasing sufficient cover should be acknowledged and considered before committing to a long term career in racing abroad.



Jockeys wishing to ride abroad on a foreign licence should:

  • Obtain a clearance from the BHA Licensing Department (0207 152 0000).
  • This will confirm that the Jockey is in good standing, i.e. currently licensed in the UK, not suspended and medically fit to ride.
  • When returning to the UK the Jockey should obtain a clearance from the overseas Authority in order to renew their UK licence

To find a foreign Embassy, please click here.Jockeys should check with individual countries Embassy to establish whether a Visa is required in order to ride.


  • Jockeys earning fees through race riding you will need a visa. The sponsor will contact US citizenship immigration,, and file a petition. The US will send the Jockey a notice of action. The Jockey will then need to call the embassy to arrange an appointment, giving certain information contained in the notice of action. Once an interview has been conducted the visa should be issued in a matter of days.
  • The PJA may be able to provide Jockeys with details of attorneys who specialises in working visas for Jockeys and will help with the process. Attorneys will charge a fee but may make the process easy and swift.